Monday, February 25, 2013

Beer Review: Port Brewing - Wipeout I.P.A.

Port Brewing Co.
Wipeout I.P.A.
American IPA
7% ABV

Appearance: Golden yellow, slightly hazy, fluffy white head.

Smell: A lovely, sweet and soft tropical aroma. Candied fruit and baking bread. Not a trace of harshness or bitterness.

Taste: First sip starts off rather smooth but then hits you with a nice punch of hoppy bitterness, which
immediately mellows and finishes nicely. Subsequent sips lack the hop bite.
Taste is similar to the smell. Soft, mild citrus, some floral/grassy notes, and a bit of light, sweet bready malts.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied, crisp yet smooth, soft, mellow finish.

Overall, I loved this beer. My first from Port Brewing Co. out of San Marcos, California. I had been looking for a fresh bottle and finally found one at The Beer Temple in Chicago. This beer looks beautiful, smells intoxicating, and has a unique, hoppy yet mildly sweet flavor.

I'll definitely be picking up the next fresh bottle I find. If you do happen to come across any of Port Brewing's beers here in Chicago or elsewhere, make sure you check the bottled on date which can be found around the neck of the bottle. If it's more than 2 months old, I'd pass (my bottle was just about a month old). When relatively fresh, it's a remarkably smooth West coast IPA.

While it may not technically be flawless, I enjoyed everything about this beer so much that I can't help but give it a
perfect score. Cheers!
5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment