Sunday, June 23, 2013

Beer Review: Russian River - Pliny the Elder

Russian River Brewing Co.
Pliny the Elder
Double IPA
8% ABV

Appearance: Pours a clear yellow orange with a light and bubbly two and a half fingers of white foam.

Smell: Orange, tangerine, pine, and some earthy spiciness with a bit of sugary sweetness.

Taste: Follows the nose with grapefruit and  pine and an earthy, spicy finish. Very well balanced with a little hit of alcohol as the beer warms. 

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp, and refreshing.

Overall, this is a really solid double IPA. Currently the third highest rated beer on BeerAdvocate.com, I really had to keep my expectations in check on this one as I've been trying to get my hands on a bottle ever since I became an IPA junkie about a year ago. At first it didn't really blow me away. The aroma, while pleasant, wasn't really unique or particularly outstanding in any way. The taste was similar in that it was certainly enjoyable but nothing terribly interesting or exclusive. But then the beer warmed up a bit and surprisingly revealed itself as the extremely balanced and well-made beer that it is. It's not a hop bomb like so many IPAs released today. Instead, it quietly impresses you with its subtlety and balance. Despite this, I have to admit that it does fall short of it's legendary status but through no fault of it's own. It's still a beautifully made beer that I wound never turn down and if more easily available, would be one that I would likely return to often.

4 out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment