Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Beer Review: Odell - IPA

Odell Brewing Co.
IPA
American IPA
7% ABV

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy yellow orange with two fingers of beautiful, bubbly foam. Nice lacing left behind on the glass.

Smell: Fruity esters: pineapple, papaya, mango, and lemon. Some yeast, a mild bubblegum aroma and a touch of soapiness. Clean, vibrant, and a bit zesty.

Taste: Mainly grapefruit, sweet, bitter lemon peel, and some pine. A bit tart and tangy. Very citrusy but well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and well carbonated. Smooth yet crisp finish.

Overall I really enjoyed this take on the traditional IPA. My first beer from Odell Brewing Co. out of Fort Collins, Colorado. They currently only distribute to nine other states and Illinois, unfortunately, is not one of them. Which is a shame as this is a beautifully crafted beer that I'd love to return to every now and again. I tend to get a little bored after my beer warms up but this one remained tasty til the end. Extremely well-executed, wonderfully balanced, and super refreshing. I imagine this would taste euphoric on a hot, sunny summer day. I can't find any real flaws here. As I've said before, no beer is truly perfect, but everything comes together so nicely on this one that anything less than a perfect score just wouldn't sit right with me. Well done, Odell.

5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment