Monday, March 18, 2013

Beer Review: Three Floyds - Brian Boru

Three Floyds Brewing Co.
Brian Boru
Irish Red Ale

5.5% ABV

Appearance: Pours an appropriately semi-hazy rust red with a thick, fluffy two fingers of beige foam.

Smell: Juicy pineapple, pine resin, and toasted amber and caramel malts.

Taste: Follows the nose pretty closely. No pineapple or fruitiness though. Mainly pine, sweet caramel, and toasted malts. Very nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light bodied with a thin mouthfeel. Nicely crisp but certainly not over carbonated. Smooth, quick finish.

Overall, I really enjoyed this take on an Irish red ale. I'm not usually a huge fan of this style but Three Floyds adds their signature hop twist which results in a unique and perfectly balanced beer. I loved the atypical tropical fruit notes in the aroma. The rest of the beer is very true to style and pretty tasty. It's a really nice, easy drinker. I honestly couldn't imagine a better interpretation of an Irish red. I think I'll start an annual St. Patty's Day tradition of a
bottle of this paired with a corned beef sandwich.
4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment