Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Beer Review: 18th Street - Hunter

18th Street Brewery
Hunter
Milk Stout 
8% ABV

Appearance: Pours a rich, opaque, nearly-black brown with a scant finger or dark tan foam.

Smell: Charred smokiness, earthy and spicy hops, coffee, and a little hint of sweetness from the lactose sugar.

Taste: Smokey, earthy, spicy, bitter dark cocoa, coffee, and a bit of vanilla.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and creamy but with a crisp finish.

Overall, I absolutely loved this stout. It's rich, complex, flavorful, and near perfectly balanced. I liked that this was hoppy but considering that it's labeled a milk stout I do wish that it was just a touch sweeter. Although the foam at the tail end of my glass tasted like chocolate milk, which was awesome. Aside from the lack of sweetness, I have to say that this is easily one of the best non-barrel-aged stouts I've ever had. 18th Street Brewery is 3-for-3 in my book (Sinister & Seven preceding Hunter) and I greatly look forward to seeing what these guys will do next.

*Side Note: The label artwork is badass.
5 out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment