Friday, May 17, 2013

Beer Review: Ballast Point - Big Eye

Ballast Point Brewing Co.
Big Eye
American IPA
7% ABV

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with three fingers of creamy beige foam.

Smell:  A clean lemon and pine aroma cuts through a sugary, sweet citrus (orange, pineapple and grapefruit) backdrop.

Taste: Much like Sculpin, this is a bitter beast. Lots of pine, floral notes, grapefruit rind, and a bit of a soapy lemon flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp and tingly carbonation that coats the tongue.

Overall, I enjoyed this quite a bit. It's definitely a bold and bitter IPA and, like Sculpin (it's bigger brother), it teeters on being unbalanced. But as intense as it is, it's also bursting with flavor. It makes me want to give Sculpin another go. I rated it fairly low the first (and only) time I've had it. Now that I know what to expect from a Ballast Point IPA (big bitterness!) and now that there isn't that huge hype hanging over the bottle, I feel like I'll find Sculpin a lot more enjoyable. As for Big Eye, I would definitely pick up this beer again.
4.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment