Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Beer Review: Three Floyds - Rabbid Rabbit

Three Floyds Brewing  Co. 
Rabbid Rabbit
Saison
7.4% ABV

Appearance: Pours a virtually opaque orange-yellow with over three fingers of fluffy white foam.

Smell: Light banana esters from the yeast and bottle-conditioning, peppery spice, a bit musty and somewhat sweet.

Taste: Herbal spiciness and subtle fruitiness. Not sure if its just from the reading the description but I do get hints of rock candy sugar. Has a spicy sweet alcoholic finish which lingers on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, fairly thin, and surprisingly low carbonation.

Overall, I really did not care for this beer. It's labeled a saison but it doesn't feel like one to me. I found it to be overly spicy and lacking in fruitiness/tartness (both of which are characteristic of the style). The low carbonation was also very strange and unappealing and probably the worst thing about this beer. It's brewed with rock candy and chamomile, which I found interesting but ultimately the flavors don't mesh well and the resulting brew is disappointing.
I would never buy this again and frankly
I wouldn't recommend it, especially at an
inflated $11 a bottle.
2.5 out of 5


2 comments:

  1. Damn son. Disagree. I didn't love it, but I actually found it more interesting and drinkable than most other Saisons. I definitely didn't get the overly spiced. I thought it was pretty indicative of the style, and honestly found it quite comparable to New Glarus' Saison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very blah to me. It wasn't crisp and refreshing like a saison should be. The low carbonation was really strange and off-putting. It was interesting but not in a good way. I can't remember the flavor profile of the New Glarus Saison but I know I enjoyed it more than this. And seriously, the price tag on this is absurd.

    ReplyDelete