Thursday, March 14, 2013

Beer Review: Spiteful - Bitter Biker

Spiteful Brewing
Bitter Biker
Double IPA

9.6% ABV
Batch # 6

Appearance: Pours a glowing bright orange with a touch of haziness. Two fingers of light, frothy foam.
 
Smell: First thing I get right off the bat is a big and distinct aroma of strawberries. I've never gotten that in a beer before. Quite nice. There's also some biscuity malts, and a little mango.

Taste: Big bold bitterness here. Mainly resinous pine and something that reminds me of black licorice. There's also a bit of spice in the finish. A little leafy as well. Alcohol isn't detectable until the beer has significantly warmed.

Mouthfeel: This stuff coats your tongue something fierce, although not really unpleasantly so. Slightly heavier body than your typical double IPA. Fairly well carbonated and prickly on the tongue.

Overall, this was actually quite a bit better than I was expecting. My first beer from Spiteful Brewing, another local Chicago brewery that is just getting started. This, along with their Russian imperial stout, G.F.Y., will be year-round beers but they'll also be brewing plenty of seasonal offerings. Bitter Biker definitely lives up to its name but I didn't think that this one went overboard on the bitterness, as others have mentioned. I really enjoyed the unique strawberry notes in the aroma and I thought the flavor was fairly complex and interesting. I was also pleasantly surprised at how tasty this one remained well after it had warmed. It mellowed out really nicely and went down smooth, even with the alcohol making an appearance toward the end. Looking forward to trying more from these guys!
4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment