Friday, April 12, 2013

Beer Review: Aleman/Stone/Two Brothers - Dayman

Aleman/Stone/Two Brothers
Dayman Coffee IPA
American IPA
8.7% ABV

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden orange with two fingers of off-white foam that clings to the glass.

Smell: The first sniff I got bitter roasted coffee and on the second sniff I got bright aromatic citrus. The two vastly different aromas continued to tag in and out throughout the tasting.

Taste: Unlike the aroma, the flavor stayed the same sip after sip. There's roasted coffee grounds, toasted pine, a little nuttiness, and some grapefruit and orange rind. No alcohol on this one. I never got the sense I was drinking a beer that was almost 9%.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, relatively smooth and easy to drink.

Overall, this was a unique beer drinking experience. I must say I've never had anything quite like it. The coffee aromas and flavors actually complimented the citrus characteristics nicely. Sometimes it tasted like you were drinking an iced coffee and other times the fruity hops really shined through. While this was really interesting to try I can't say that I would ever buy this again. I think it was a fun experiment and really it's about the best a coffee flavored IPA is going to taste but it's not my thing. Still, I've got to give these three breweries credit for brewing such an unusual but drinkable beer. I'll bump up the rating a bit just for its uniqueness. It's definitely worth trying at least once.
4 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment