Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Beer Review: New Belgium - Rampant

New Belgium Brewing
Rampant
Imperial IPA
8.5% ABV

Appearance: Pours a clear golden yellow with a stark white bubbly head of foam.

Smell: A very distinctive aroma of cantaloupe and honeydew melon with light peach notes and a bit of pine.

Taste: Follows the nose with melon, peach, pear, and apple as well as some honey and nectar sweetness. Pine and a thin crackery malt round out the taste. There's a touch of stinging alcohol in the finish that's accompanied with an almost rosewater-like flavor.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light bodied with low to medium carbonation.

Overall, this was a unique imperial IPA but not my favorite interpretation of the style. I found it to be a little light, overall. Hard to believe it's 8.5%. The distinctive melon flavors were interesting but melon being such a watery fruit, the beer ends up tasting sort of thin and watery. Not altogether unpleasant but I like my beers more robust and flavorful and this just didn't cut it for me. An easy enough beer to drink but not a very good execution of the style. Nothing about this says "imperial IPA" to me.
 
3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment