Thursday, April 18, 2013

Beer Review: New Glarus - Edel-Pils

New Glarus Brewing Co.
Edel-Pils
German Pilsner
5.3% ABV

Appearance: Pours a perfectly clear golden straw with three fingers of fluffy off-white foam.

Smell: Spicy and floral hops, bready malt, and a lightly fruity yeast (banana and lemon). I was expecting a typical pilsner aroma but this is quite nice. It does have a little bit of that sharpness inherent to the style but its softened by the Bavarian yeast.

Taste: Dry, crackery malt, lots of graininess, some spicy hops and fruity yeast. Picked up a little apple and lemon tartness as well as some faint banana esters.

Mouthfeel: Wow. Starts off crisp and then becomes incredibly creamy. Finishes super smooth. Carbonation seems to die off rather quickly but other than that I absolutely loved the feel of this one.

Overall, this is easily the best pilsner I've ever had. I've never been a fan of the style but leave it to New Glarus to make an expertly crafted version of a boring classic. In my opinion, this is the kind of beer they do best. Simple, clean, beautifully constructed lagers. I like that they're sort of old-fashioned in their approach to brewing. Being a German style of beer, the use of Bavarian yeast and hops are key and lend an inimitable authenticity, while the addition of American barley and hops keep it from being strictly a European affair. This one threw me for a loop. I was not expecting something this good. Apparently it's been years since they last brewed it. New Glarus celebrates their 20th anniversary this year. I couldn't think of a better way to commemorate the occasion.
4.5 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment