Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Beer Review: Three Floyds - Toxic Revolution

Three Floyds Brewing Co.
Toxic Revolution
Imperial Stout
8.5% ABV

Appearance: Pours an opaque blackish brown with over two fingers of dense beige foam.

Smell: Coffee, soy sauce, roasted malt, bitter chocolate and a peculiar aroma reminiscent of oyster sauce.

Taste: Follows the nose but thankfully minus the fishiness. I mostly get coffee and toasted malt with some baking chocolate. Moderately bitter and quite salty.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, relatively light for a stout. Medium carbonation with an oily feel.

Overall, this was not what I was expecting. Three Floyds is a very hop-centric brewery and I was hoping for a nice hoppy stout. Or, failing that, at least a smooth, richly complex one. Toxic Revolution, unfortunately, is neither. It had an odd, unappetizing fishy aroma and an overly salty flavor profile which I did not enjoy at all. I've had excellent stouts from this brewery in the past, most recently their Blot Out the Sun, but this was a disappointment. It's a shame, too, because the label art is probably the coolest I've ever seen.
2.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment