Friday, April 5, 2013

Beer Review: Great Lakes - Rye of the Tiger

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Rye of the Tiger
Rye IPA
7.5% ABV 

Appearance: Pours a clear, bright copper with three fingers of frothy beige foam.

Smell: Sweet crystal malt, spicy rye, earthy hops, a bit of grapefruit and fleeting hints of pear and apple skin.

Taste: Sharp, bready rye, biscuit and caramel malts, pine, and some grapefruit and pear.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a dry, crisp finish.

Overall, this was a really enjoyable rye beer. It's not terribly unique or complex but there was just something about it that I loved. A simple yet extremely well-made IPA that is crisp and clean, bitter yet smooth and, in true Great Lakes fashion, wonderfully balanced. A ridiculously drinkable and refreshing beer. I love constantly finding and trying new beer (obviously) so on the rare occasion that I do buy a six pack (as opposed to 22 oz. bombers) I tend to only drink one or two. The rest I give away or sadly end up dumping out after they've been in the fridge too long. There is so much great beer being made and new releases coming out every week that I don't often revisit beers I've already tried. However, this is one of those brews that I could easily sit and drink 3 or 4 of on a warm Summer day and be perfectly content. Word of warning, though: this goes down like a session beer but don't be fooled, it is 7.5%.
4 out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment