Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Beer Review: New Glarus - Cabin Fever

New Glarus Brewing Co.
Cabin Fever
Maibock
6% ABV

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear pale gold with three fingers of white pockmarked foam.

Smell: Not a whole lot going on here. Mostly bready malt and some faint floral notes. Sweet honey comes through as the beer warms up a bit. It does smell crisp and inviting though.

Taste: The flavor is much more pronounced than the smell, although it does follow the nose. Crackery malt, mellow lemon, and clover honey. Finishes super sweet with semi-warming notes of what I can only assume is alcohol (although this is only 6%).

Mouthfeel: Dry, crisp and light bodied with a syrupy finish.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this Wisconsin pale bock. The aroma didn't do much for me but the taste was refreshing and unique. The addition of clover honey really imparts a lot of flavor and turns what would've been a fairly standard lager into something special. Its a very sweet beer so that may divide beer drinkers on this one. There are aspects to it, particularly the finish, that remind me of mead (an alcoholic drink of fermented honey & water, for the layman). I don't think I could drink a lot of this in one sitting but I would recommend giving it a try.
It won't knock your socks off but I found it to
be a tasty little drink.
3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment